Comments are closed. Previous Article Next Article Big plans for the future of HR at the British MuseumOn 14 Sep 2004 in Personnel Today Sixmonths into his role as head of HR at the British Museum,Martin Moore has big plans for an institution that celebrated its 250thanniversary last year.”Theobjectives of the museum are very different from anything in the privatesector,” he said. “When I joined, I saw a lot of unexploitedopportunities in both commercial and HR terms.”Mooresaid his previous experience in the hi-tech sector, at such companies as Norteland Caradon MK Electric, ishelping him in his new role, which he calls his “dream job”.”Thefirst challenge I faced was the need to professionalisethe HR function,” he said. “The big theme here is reaching out andinteracting with the public. HR can’t support that agenda if we are lookingafter policies and procedures and writing new regulations.”TheHR department at the museum was mostly staffed by career civil servants, andwhile Mooreis hesitant to be critical of them, he realised changes had to be made.”Anumber of individuals left us early on, and that gave me the opportunity tobring new people in,” he said.”Thechallenges I’ve given my people are to have a clear sense of vision andperspective, recruiting great people for the organisation who are motivated towork here, giving them rewarding careers, and the skills to do the job.”Mooreadmits that while this mandate is nothing revolutionary, a sense of clarity hashelped within an institution that has suffered recently.Lastyear, the British Museumsuffered its first ever curatorial strike, and had to cut 14 per cent of itsworkforce because of finances slipping into the red.”Organisationshave hard times, but [the British Museum]has picked itself up and is now steady,” said Moore.Heis now planning a relaunchfor the HR function in the next couple of months. “It will effectively bea rebranding, saying thatwe are here to listen and there are a number of schemes that will genuinelyhelp all staff,” he said.Moorehas the full backing of Neil MacGregor,director of the museum, in the changes he wants to make.”Everythingwe do in HR has to be true to the public perceptions of us as anorganisation,” he said. “We work very closely with our communicationsteam to make sure the institution is seen in a positive light.”Ifit is, that will reflect back on the way that people feel about themselves and regard themselves atwork.”Moore‘s HR plans–Significant learning and development investment on a scale that the museum hasnever seen before–Other new schemes around e-learning, a home-computing initiative and a range offormal learning events on senior management development through to diversitytraining–The development of a new employee assistance programme and switching providersin the New Year–Moving to a third-party recruitment provider, and increased use of internetrecruitmentByMike Berry Related posts:No related photos.
Previous articleGas price watchers predict pump prices will continue to decreaseNext articleElkhart woman sentenced for rash of cell phone robberies Tommie Lee CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews Pinterest WhatsApp Facebook Facebook WhatsApp Pinterest Twitter By Tommie Lee – September 14, 2020 0 165 Google+ Google+ Twitter By Know1one1 [CC BY-SA 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons The University of Notre Dame announced the results of the latest round of COVID-19 testing on the Fighting Irish football team on Monday, Sep. 14.There were 419 tests performed last week, resulting in two positive results.Both of those student athletes were put in isolation, and two others were quarantined due to contact tracing.None of those players participated in Saturday’s game against Duke.The team has had 14 positive tests since June 18th, for an overall negative rate of 99.3 percent. Two more Notre Dame Football players test positive for COVID-19
Ben Sparaco has made a name for himself over the past few years, playing with The Ben Sparaco Band, as well as doing stints with founding Allman Brothers Band drummer in Butch Trucks and The Freight Train Band, playing with Florida Grateful Dead tribute act Crazy Fingers, and racking up some high profile sit-ins at only 19 years old. The promising guitarist, vocalist, and songwriter has been compared to Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes, with his jazz influenced slide guitar playing being at the forefront of his music, but his debut full length album Wooden, due out January 13, 2017 is a step in a new direction.The album displays a conscious shift in Sparaco’s music from four-piece jam rock to a bluegrass-infused folk rock sound, partly inspired by his recent relocation to Nashville, Tennessee.The lead single “Don’t Try To Wake Me Up” is a soulful slide guitar driven song that delivers upon the record’s promise of showing Sparaco’s Americana side and his newfound songwriting inspiration. “The record is like a musical short story book,” says Sparaco. “These songs all were written on the road and each one sort of follows a different character. Usually the stories end up being kind of morbid in an almost comedic, ironic, way. I think it makes for an interesting combination when you put some seriously weird, dark lyrics in a song that is otherwise happy and hopeful sounding, and with some of the jazz and jam influences that I’ve always had, it ended up being something that I think sounds comfortable and familiar while still being unique in it’s own way.”Listen to the new single, “Don’t Try To Wake Me Up,” streaming below.Produced by Ross Holmes, who plays fiddle and mandolin on the album and has toured and recorded with the likes of Bruce Hornsby and The Noisemakers, Warren Haynes, Mumford and Sons, and Chessboxer, the 10 songs range from laid back folk ballads to world music-tinged electronic folk rock jams. The album features a cast of Nashville-based session musicians as well as a guest spot from guitarist Luther Dickinson.Be sure to pick up Wooden on January 13 or preorder it now on Sparaco’s website. Sparaco will tour in support of the record in winter/spring of 2017.Wooden Tracklisting:Make Me Feel Alone TonightExposition of a Traveling SalesmanWoodenSoul MinerThings HappenCypress Hotel (feat. Luther Dickinson)Sycamore JonesHeartless HomeDon’t Try To Wake Me Up
Show Closed This production ended its run on Sept. 13, 2015 View Comments Related Shows Barnum enjoyed a two-year run on Broadway led by Jim Dale’s Tony-winning performance as sideshow/circus entrepreneur P.T. Barnum. (A newcomer named Glenn Close played his wife, Chairy). Michael Crawford won an Olivier Award for the original London production and starred in a film version of the show. Hedwig and the Angry Inch We can totally see this. Cameron Mackintosh thinks Tony winner Neil Patrick Harris is perfect to play the titular role in Barnum “if his schedule ever opens up.” The mega-producer revealed this thoughts to the Boston Globe as he prepares to launch his latest incarnation of the classic tuner in the U.K. this fall, starring Brian Conley. Mackintosh’s work as a producer includes the original production and current West End revival of Miss Saigon and the Tony-winning productions of The Phantom of the Opera, Cats and Les Miserables (as well as the current Les Miz Broadway revival). His many additional producing credits include Putting It Together, Mary Poppins, Swan Lake, Carousel and Five Guys Named Mo. The producer will soon own nine London theaters. Star Files Harris won the Tony for his performance in Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Best known to audiences for his starring role as Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother, Harris is a three-time Emmy Award winner and host of the 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Tony Awards. He has also appeared on Broadway in Proof, Cabaret and Assassins and starred as Bobby in the New York Philharmonic’s staging of Company. Harris has directed several stage productions in Los Angeles, including Rent at the Hollywood Bowl. Neil Patrick Harris
The Vermont Symphony Orchestra announced today (Wednesday, January 19, 2011) that it has successfully reached its ambitious endowment goal to raise $3.5 million.At a State House press conference, Honorary Campaign Chair Ed Colodny stated, ‘In a time when cultural organizations around the country face hard times, the VSO’s audiences have been loyal and dedicated, and our programming has been innovative and rich. Now this fabulous endowment ensures stable funding for the future. We are especially grateful for the hundreds of donors who have stepped forward to allow us to reach this incredible milestone.’The three-year campaign follows the Orchestra’s 75th anniversary, celebrated during the 2009/2010 season. The purpose of the endowment is to ensure a healthy, sustainable symphony orchestra for Vermont and to help bring the Orchestra to more communities across the state through concerts and outreach programs including the popular SymphonyKids education programs in local schools.‘Music is the universal language,’ Colodny said, ‘and its existence contributes immeasurably to our quality of life. The VSO contributes mightily in making Vermont a special place to live.’The endowment campaign came at a critical moment in the Orchestra’s 75 year history. Like other orchestras, the VSO has faced economic uncertainty in the past. ‘It’s our statewide volunteer network that sets us apart,’ says Alan Jordan, VSO Executive Director. ‘Our volunteers allow a $1.8 million operation to work like a $3 million orchestra, generating enthusiasm and awareness, selling tickets and raising funds, accommodating musicians in their homes, whatever it takes,’ he says. ‘And, with these volunteers, we have raised this crucial endowment to support the orchestra for future generations.’The VSO was formed as the nation recovered from the Great Depression. It has survived through 12 recessions, and has flourished over the years. It began in the fall of 1934 when visionary musician Alan Carter gathered Vermont’s scattered musical forces’musicians who were also farmers, bankers, plumbers and teachers’to form the Vermont Symphony Orchestra. From the beginning, the VSO traveled around the state to perform wherever an audience could be found. It became the first state-supported orchestra in 1939 when the legislature provided funds for a performance at the New York World’s Fair.‘The fact that the VSO is the oldest state symphony in America and has continued with so little bedrock endowment is amazing,’ says Ken Squier, Chairman of the Governing Board of Directors. ‘We especially thank the many generous individuals and organizations whose gifts will help us perpetuate the great work that Music Director Jaime Laredo, our Orchestra, and the staff have done.’Guilford resident and world renowned violinist Jaime Laredo became Music Director in 2000. His tenure has been marked by critically acclaimed performances, and guest appearances by leading classical musicians, including Midori, Lang Lang, Jennifer Koh, Leila Josefowicz, Peter Serkin, Soovin Kim, Michael Tree and Leon Fleisher. World class cellist Yo Yo Ma returns to perform with the Orchestra on April 30. The concert has been sold out since last September.During the 2009/10 season the Orchestra reached an audience of 53,791, including 24,089 school children through its popular SymphonyKids outreach program in Vermont schools. Overall the Orchestra produced 301 performances and events statewide’266 of the events were offered free of charge to audience members.For additional information, please contact the VSO at 2 Church Street, Suite 3B, Burlington, Vermont 05401 or call 800-876-9293. For information about forthcoming concerts, please visit VSO website at www.vso.org(link is external).Photos: 1) Ed Colodny, VSO Honorary Campaign Chair2) Ed Colodny, VSO Honorary Campaign Chair; Ken Squier, VSO Board Chair; Jeb Spaulding, Secretary, Vermont Agency of Administration; Jaime Laredo, VSO Music Director; Alan Jordan, VSO Executive Director (l. to r.)
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享OffshoreWind.biz:The Borssele III & IV offshore wind farm produced first power early in the morning on 7 August, the Blauwwind consortium informs.The first of 77 MHI Vestas 9.5 MW wind turbines was installed at the project site in the Dutch part of the North Sea in May. At the end of July, TenneT announced that the 700 MW Borssele Beta high voltage offshore platform, connecting Borssele III & IV and Borssele V offshore wind farms to the Dutch grid, was ready for use.At the moment, 36 wind turbines are in place at the Borssele III & IV site. After undergoing further initial tests in the coming weeks, it is expected that one additional turbine will become operational per day, Blauwwind said.The offshore wind farm, with a total installed capacity of 731.5 MW, is scheduled to be completed in October 2020 and commissioned in 2021.Total expected energy production from the Borssele III & IV is 3,000 gigawatt hours (GWh) per year. The offshore wind farm will supply clean, renewable energy to 825,000 households, accounting for up to 2.3 per cent of the total Dutch electricity demand.The 731.5 MW Borssele III & IV wind farm is owned and developed by the Blauwwind consortium. The consortium comprises Partners Group (45%), Shell (20%), DGE (15%), Eneco Group (10%), and Van Oord (10%), with the latter also being the balance of plant (BoP) contractor.[Adrijana Buljan]More: Borssele III & IV produces first power Giant Borssele III&IV offshore wind farm begins sending first electricity into Dutch power grid
Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion There are close to 500 brands and 7,700 different flavors of electronic cigarettes for sale on the market. None of these have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), according to the American Lung Association.As noted in the article, 20 percent of children have tried these products without knowing the possible consequences. It’s concerning that there are children being exposed to e-cigarettes when they haven’t been evaluated. The new ban will prevent the possibility of potentially harmful second-hand emissions inhaled in public places.I’m aware that electronic cigarettes have been viewed as a way for people to quit traditional smoking, although this isn’t the case. The FDA has not yet found any e-cigarette to be safe and effective in helping smokers quit.The ban on electronic cigarettes is a positive one. The product that many people believe is aiding them in becoming healthier is the very one that could continue to cause harm to themselves, and potentially to others. Remember when they used to say regular cigarettes were safe?Danielle EptingAlbanyMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?Feds: Albany man sentenced for role in romance scamEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidation After reading the Oct. 24 article, “New York bans vaping anywhere cigarettes are prohibited,” I’m pleased to see action being taken against electronic cigarettes. These kinds of cigarettes have been advertised as a healthier option, but the harmful effects of these products have not been reviewed.
Australia’s second most-populous state, Victoria, reported its biggest jump in coronavirus cases since late March on Saturday, forcing the expansion of stay-at-home orders to more Melbourne suburbs and the complete lockdown of nine public housing towers.The southeastern state recorded 108 new cases on Saturday, up from 66 on Friday and more than 70 new cases in each of the previous four days.”These numbers are a very real concern to all of us,” Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews told a news conference. The spike in Victoria is being closely watched as the rest of the country has reined in the virus that causes COVID-19.Australia’s most populated state, New South Wales, reported six new coronavirus cases on Saturday, five of them returning travellers from overseas.Read also: Australians still have little trust in Indonesia due to unfamiliarity: SurveyThe sixth is a past infection and not an active case, according to health officials. The state reported no new cases on Friday. Overall, Australia has weathered the coronavirus pandemic much better than most other nations, with just over 8,300 cases and 104 deaths so far.The nine towers in Melbourne consists of 1,345 units, housing about 3,000 residents.They will be locked down for at least five days, effective immediately, after many residents from those towers returned a positive COVID-19 test.Police will be placed on each floor of the towers and law enforcement authorities will also control access points.”These are very challenging times,” Premier Andrews added.”The alternative is this gets right away from us and we have not just 12 postcodes in lockdown but every postcode locked down. I don’t want to get to that.” Topics :
Saliba turned down a late offer from Tottenham (Picture: Getty)Spurs bettered Arsenal’s offer and were willing to hand Saliba bigger wages to move to the white half of north London.AdvertisementAdvertisementHowever, Saliba stuck to his guns and he’s revealed that Guendouzi played a part in his decision.‘I spoke to Matteo [Guendouzi],’ admitted Saliba to L’Equipe.‘I even bumped into him at a funfair in Paris & that’s where I told him that Arsenal wanted to sign me! He gently advised me to come here & explained what it was like.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalAsked why he joined Arsenal, Saliba insisted it was the club’s history that appealed.‘Well, the history, the badge. Since I was little, I’ve been watching Arsenal play in the Champions League & so on & there are a lot of French players who have come through here,’ said Saliba.‘So that really helped me to make my mind up’MORE: Manchester United identify Lyon striker Moussa Dembele as a target amid Romelu Lukaku speculation Sean KearnsThursday 25 Jul 2019 6:18 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link435Shares Comment William Saliba signed a long-term deal with Arsenal (Picture: Getty)Arsenal new boy William Saliba has admitted Matteo Guendouzi played a persuasive part in his decision to turn down Tottenham for the Gunners.The 18-year-old’s move to the Emirates was confirmed today, shortly after the Gunners announced the capture of Dani Ceballos on loan earlier in the day.Saliba arrives in a deal worth around £27million and he will spend next season back on loan at St Ettiene before moving to the Emirates in 2020.Arsenal’s interest in the defender extends back to 2018 but the Gunners were worried the move would be hijacked by rivals Tottenham, who made a late bid to sign Saliba.ADVERTISEMENT Advertisement William Saliba reveals Matteo Guendouzi convinced him to turn down Tottenham for Arsenal Advertisement