Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the fourth wicket-keeper after Australia’s Adam Gilchrist, Sri Lanka’s Kumar Sangakkara and South Africa’s Mark Boucher to effect 400 dismissals in one-day international cricket.At 36 years of age, Dhoni reached the milestone in the third ODI against South Africa at Cape Town. His 400th scalp was Aiden Markram, as he stumped the South African stand-in skipper when he tried to come down the track to Kuldeep Yadav.WATCH Kuldeep slowed the ball in the air and lands it full around middle. Markram failed to read the googly as he tried to walk forward and flick it on the leg side. But as the ball spun away to beat the outside edge and Dhoni took the bails off in a [email protected] becomes the first Indian wicket-keeper to effect 400 dismissals in ODIs! pic.twitter.com/TSnCNk26wxBCCI (@BCCI) February 7, 2018Dhoni playing his 315th ODI, has taken 294 catches and inflicted 106 stumpings, the highest ever.On the list of most dismissals, Sangakkara is on top with 482 , followed by Gilchrist with 472 and Boucher with 424. The next Indian on that list is Nayan Mongia, who has 154 dismissals to his name from 140 ODIs.MS Dhoni has also taken 256 catches and has 38 stumpings in Tests, as for T20Is, he has 47 catches and 29 stumpings.Dhoni recently became the 11th cricketer to be awarded with the Padma Bhushan. The wicketkeeper-batsman had won India all three ICC trophies as captain and steered the team to the top of the ICC Test rankings.He has also been awarded the ICC ODI Player of the Year award in 2008 and 2009 (the first player to win the award twice), the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2007 and the Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian honour in 2009.advertisementBack in September of last year, he scored his 100th international half-century, and has 9902 runs, with 10 hundreds.Before the start of the tour of South Africa, Ravi Shastri in an exclusive to India Today, had questioned MS Dhoni’s critics, saying, “If they look at themselves in the mirror and ask the question, ‘what they were at the age of 36?’. Would they have run two runs faster? But the time they finish two, this guy will run three. Then he has won only two World Cups and averages only 51. Till today you don’t have a wicket-keeper to replace him in the one-day team.”
Repair work is now underway on sections of the Sandy Park Gully, near Liguanea, in St. Andrew, as part of efforts to safeguard lives and properties. The work, which commenced on November 23, include: strengthening of the retaining wall and invert; repacking, and extensive repair of damage. Speaking to journalists Tuesday (November 27), following a tour of the area, Minister of State in the Ministry of Transport, Works and Housing, Hon. Richard Azan, said the Government will spend approximately $50 million to undertake the project, which is slated to last for three months. He said sections of the gully suffered significant erosion prior to, and following the passage of recent heavy rains, and residents had appealed to the authorities to address the deterioration of the structure. “I made a promise then that work would start very shortly and I’m here this morning to witness its progress,” the State Minister said. Mr. Azan informed that workers are drawn from communities in close proximity to the project, in order to create employment for the residents. “It falls in the community and the community members will be employed. The contractor has given me the assurance that those who are working are people from the community,” he stated. Mr. Azan said that starting next financial year, money will be set aside for the ongoing maintenance of gullies across the island, in an effort to ensure that the structures remain safe. “We will have to put something in the budget to continue maintaining the structure, especially the invert of the gully, because over time, a small break can lead to the collapse of the gully. We have to make sure that we maintain the work that we are doing now,” he said. The work forms part of a $700 million repair programme, which is being administered by the National Works Agency (NWA). Two years ago six members of one family perished when flood waters associated with Tropical Storm Nicole washed away their home, which was perched precariously on the edge of the gully. The house was washed away after a retaining wall fell under the pressure of flood waters. The contract has been awarded to Y. P Seaton and Associates.