It is hard to believe that The Doors released their self-titled debut album nearly 50 years ago. To celebrate the January 4th, 1967 Elektra Records release of the now legendary album, the Los Angeles-based band will be honored by the city’s Mayor, Eric Garrett, and Councilmember Mike Bonin.According to a statement via The Doors website, January 4th will be proclaimed the “Day Of The Doors” by the mayor, along with surviving Doors members Robby Krieger and John Densmore, and family members of Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek. The celebration will take place at “Venice” sign, at the intersection of Pacific and Windward Avenues.Densmore stated, “Very apropos that The Doors are jumpstarting our 50th in Venice where we started….Our songs sprang up out of the Pacific like beautiful, edible silver fish… and apparently the world took a big bite.”Councilmember Bonin explained, “Venice is a place where many have chased their pleasures or dug their treasures. It is a place that birthed The Doors and taught us all to cherish the funky, weird, and world-renowned vibe that Jim, Ray, Robby, and John helped make famous….I am very happy to be amongst the feast of friends celebrating The Doors’ 50th anniversary, and I thank the band, their management, and the Venice Chamber of Commerce for making this celebration possible.”The self-titled EP featured classic tracks such as “Break On Through (To the Other Side),” “The Crystal Ship,” “Light My Fire,” and the magnum opus “The End.” The Doors went on to become one of the most recognized bands of the 60’s, with lead singer Jim Morrison becoming not only a major sex symbol, but one of the most enigmatic artists of the generation.“Break On Through (To the Other Side)”:
Michael Yu | The Observer Students, faculty and members of the Congregation of Holy Cross gathered Tuesday night in honor of senior Lisa Yang, who died at Memorial Hospital in South Bend March 3.Yang, a native of Herndon, Virginia, died March 3 at Memorial Hospital in South Bend, after a suicide attempt the previous week.Readings were done by Erin Hoffmann Harding, vice president of student affairs, and Hannah Knochelmann, a resident assistant in McGlinn Hall, where Yang had been a resident. William Kennedy delivered the petitions.Fr. Pete McCormick, director of Campus Ministry, gave the homily. Yang’s death has been difficult to grasp, McCormick said.“We ponder this event, the death of someone with such love and compassion for others, who suffered so greatly on the inside,” McCormick said. “We are anxious, too, by the fact that Lisa is not the only one to feel this way. We ask ourselves how is it that we can deal with this in the future.”McCormick thanked the Yangs for their openness with the Notre Dame community.“The Notre Dame family owes the Yangs a great debt, because if it were not for you, for your willingness to allow us to be so honest about what it is, we would not be able to help those who feel the same way, who feel that they are alone … who feel that it is impossible for anyone else to experience this type of pain,” McCormick said.“Her courage, her beauty and the way in which she lived her life now serve as a reminder to us to be on the look out for people who struggle with such pain,” he said. “We know that Lisa was unwilling to share that pain that she felt with her friends, her family and those closest to her because she didn’t want to be seen as a burden.”McCormick encouraged students to reach out to one another.“Our great sorrow on this night is that we came to know her struggle too late,” he said. “While we cannot redo the past, we can move forward with greater wisdom, understanding and hope.“We hope that Lisa’s death might be an opportunity to help others understand that those dealing with depression should not be completely alone, but instead, for students to reach out to others.”One candle in the darkness only allows one to see the rough image, McCormick said, but many candles together — such as the Grotto candles students arranged in Yang’s name the night she died — radiate brightly enough to illuminate the whole.“The community that looks out for one another, motivated by compassion, will provide hope and clarity in even the darkest places,” McCormick said.“My brothers and sisters, let not Lisa’s passing simply be a moment of sadness, or a celebration of life,” he said.“That would be too one-dimensional. But instead, let it be a moment … a moment in time where we see life as the precious gift it is. A moment in time where we commit to doing what we can to let people know that they are loved.”Tags: Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Lisa Yang, memorial mass Notre Dame students and staff filled the Basilica of the Sacred Heart on Tuesday evening to honor senior Lisa Yang with a memorial Mass. Yang’s parents and priests from the Congregation of Holy Cross were also in attendance.
Terry won the Oliver for Tribes. Her other recent theater credits include Before The Party, In the Republic of Happiness, Love’s Labour’s Won, The Comedy of Errors, London Assurance, All’s Well That Ends Well and England People Very Nice. Between 2011 and 2013 she co-wrote (with Ralf Little) and starred in the comedy drama series The Café. Jonathan Pryce is set to demand his pound of flesh at Shakespeare’s Globe. The two-time Tony winner will play Shylock in The Merchant of Venice, which will kick off the Globe’s 2015 summer season on April 23. Jonathan Munby’s production of the classic will run through June 7. Meanwhile, Oliver winner Michelle Terry will star as Rosalind in Blanche McIntyre’s As You Like It, which will also have a limited engagement at the Globe from May 15 through September 5. Pryce won the Tony for Miss Saigon and Comedians; he has also appeared on Broadway in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Accidental Death of an Anarchist. Additional stage credits include Hamlet and The Caretaker. Film credits include Something Wicked This Way Comes, Brazil, Glengarry Glen Ross, Carrington, Evita and Tomorrow Never Dies. He was nominated for an Emmy Award for his performance in Cranford: Return to Cranford, and he will shortly be appearing as Cardinal Wolsey in the TV adaptation of Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall. View Comments
As we’ve discussed, point-of-sale providers combine the strengths of personal loans and credit cards to target the initial consumer transactions. Lenders offer point-of-sale financing as an alternative to credit cards to meet the evolving preferences and needs of consumers. They may receive a smaller credit line than they need from their card issuers, have concerns about a negative score impact following high utilization or dislike the uncertain repayment amounts and timing of card balances. This blog is the third in a series about point-of-sale financing, discussing how it has grown in popularity, why it impacts credit cards, and whether the industry is positioned for continued traction. Read part one and part two.In my second point-of-sale financing blog, I outlined how lenders work with retailers on point-of-sale financing and the three models that companies use. Now, we’ll explore the ways lenders offer these loans to consumers and how point-of-sale can meet retailers’ needs. continue reading » How lenders are using different point-of-sale loan configurations ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Paul Cook has resigned as Wigan Athletic manager after the club were relegated to League One. The 53-year-old was unable to keep the Latics in the Championship after they were hit with a 12-point deduction for entering administration. Wigan would have finished 13th but instead dropped into the relegation zone on the final day.Advertisement read also:Wigan want new buyer to pay the club’s wages The club are appealing against the sanction, with their case to be heard this coming Friday. Cook led Wigan to the League One title in his first season after taking the reins in 2017, and kept them up at the first attempt. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A DroneThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseSuperhero Castings That People Hated But Were AmazingBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeThe Best Tarantino Movie Yet6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes10 Stargazing Locations To ‘Connect With Nature’ Loading…
Solomon Golomb, a professor of electrical engineering and mathematics who died May 1 at the age of 83, will be remembered for his groundbreaking work in communications theory.“I found Sol to be a man of high character and integrity. He was certainly a wonderful father and husband. … Sol was very humble, and a very kind person,” said William Lindsey, a professor of electrical engineering. “On the mathematical side, he was likened to a Gauss or a Pascal or a Euler.”After receiving his Ph.D. in mathematics from Harvard University, Golomb worked as the deputy chief of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab’s Telecommunications Research Section before joining USC’s faculty in 1963. In his 53 years as a professor, Golomb established USC as a leading institution for communications research. He was a member of the “Magnificent Seven,” a group of the top communications researchers at the University who founded the USC Communications Sciences Institute.“He got recruited to USC, and he helped recruit a number of other people who were working at JPL and other areas as well, and there was this core faculty working on communications theory in the early ‘60s who made enormous advances,” said Todd Brun, a professor of electrical engineering and computer science. “At this point, there are only three left, so it’s kind of the passing of an era.”Among his many contributions to the fields of communications and cryptography, Golomb defined polyominoes, the basis for the game Tetris, and developed techniques for analyzing shift register sequences. This research is integral to the function of cellphones and the internet today. He spoke several languages, including Hebrew and French, and was known for inventing mathematical games, including a variant of checkers called “cheskers.”Robert Scholtz, a professor of electrical engineering, described Golomb’s mental acuity and diverse research interests.“His mind never stopped working. I would suspect that he got three or four hours of sleep at night. He was always thinking about various kinds of problems — not just mathematical problems, though that was his specialty,” Scholtz said. “He spoke many languages, he was very interested in religion and history, and he had an almost-encyclopedic knowledge of everything in those areas.”For his work in digital communications, Golomb was awarded the Franklin Institute’s 2016 Benjamin Franklin Medal in Electrical Engineering. He was also presented with the National Medal of Science in 2013 from President Barack Obama. He served as president of the Faculty Senate and the vice provost for research. These contributions helped him earn the Presidential Medallion, USC’s highest honor for faculty members.Beyond his own research, Golomb also advanced the department through recruitment. He recruited many researchers to USC’s electrical engineering faculty, including Lindsey and Lloyd Welch, a professor emeritus of electrical engineering. He also served as a mentor to Andrew Viterbi, later the namesake of the Viterbi School of Engineering, while working as his supervisor at JPL, a connection that forged a lifelong bond.Brun spoke about the leadership and guidance Golomb demonstrated toward his colleagues and students.“He was one of the most brilliant people I ever met. I think that was the impression of most people who knew him,” Brun said. “But Sol was also a mentor. I wouldn’t be here without him, so I’m very grateful to him. He was a very kind man, looked after his students and his colleagues, did a lot of service to USC, and that’s important too. It’s not just being the smartest guy in the room, but what you use that for and how you treat other people. And he was very high up there in that area as well.”George Bekey, a professor emeritus of electrical engineering, recalled one memory that for him that to him summed up Golomb’s remarkable intellect and insight.“I was walking with Dr. Golomb on the way to the faculty center one day, and for a good ten minutes, he was really quiet, he didn’t say a thing. Eventually, he turned and smiled, and I said, ‘So what are you thinking about?’. He said, ‘Oh, I was solving a mathematical problem in my head. That was Golomb,” Bekey said.He is survived by his wife, Bodil, and his daughters, Astrid and Beatrice.
“I would like to finish my job well,” Wenger had said on Wednesday. “I believe a man has to give his best as long as he is somewhere.“With all my commitment and energy, I would like to walk out of Arsenal one day knowing that until the last day I focused only on Arsenal.“When my job at Arsenal is finished I will see where I go from there but I want to finish this love story well.”Despite his domestic achievements, Wenger has never won a European trophy with Arsenal.Share on: WhatsApp Long-time fan Kagame with former captain Tony AdamsKigali, Rwanda | THE INDEPENDENT | Arsene Wenger will not get the happy ending he had wished for, and Rwanda President Paul Kagame, a long time fan has said ” this should not have been the kind of ending of an era.”Diego Costa killed Arsene Wenger’s last hope of a glorious Arsenal farewell as his goal sent Atletico Madrid through to the Europa League final 2-1 on aggregate on Thursday.Wenger’s 250th European fixture with Arsenal also to proved to be his last, decided by a typically ruthless finish from Costa, who delivered the sort of barnstorming display defenders must have nightmares about.Soon after Kagame tweeted: “My take on my beloved Club Arsenal- a very good one at the game and a very good coach like a.Wenger ,this should not have been the kind of ending of an era. The coach is leaving and club trophy-less it was long coming! I am still a committed fan going forward :). Blame the owners.”He added that “As I had said way back and just as a good observer…something fundamental needed to change at/about the club. But if anything changed it was not the right one. All the best to all involved! We still need Arsenal to go back where it belongs- up there among the best in the game!”
He said FIFA proposals to share the Qatar World Cup with Kuwait and Oman would reinforce the feeling that the Gulf has split into two competing blocs of three countries, with Saudi, UAE and Bahrain on the other side.“From a political point of view, it [expansion] doesn’t make sense.”Even if Qatar is forced to share its World Cup, the first in the Middle East, it is unlikely to please Riyadh or Abu Dhabi, adds Krieg.“I don’t see how Saudi and the UAE get anything out of that,” he says.– Football won’t solve crisis –Yet FIFA’s plans to expand the 2022 World Cup appear to be gaining support among some football administrators.The results of a much-vaunted FIFA “feasibility study”, announced at a meeting of football’s governing body last week in Miami, backed expansion in Qatar.“We came to the conclusion, yes it’s feasible to move from 32 to 48 teams at the World Cup provided certain conditions are met,” Infantino said, declaring himself “happy” with the finding.A final decision will be announced in Paris in June, and while the expansion plan has been gaining a seemingly irresistible momentum, some remain unconvinced.Europe’s governing body, UEFA, said expansion would create “many problems” and was “not realistic”.Campaigners warned FIFA not to neglect its own newly imposed standards on human rights when awarding World Cup host status.Any expansion would see an extra 16 matches played over the duration of the 28-day tournament and there are concerns over whether stadiums and infrastructure in Kuwait and Oman would meet exacting FIFA tournament standards.With so many issues, it is difficult to see any diplomatic dividend from the World Cup, said James Dorsey, a researcher at Singapore’s S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies and author of “The Turbulent World of Middle East Soccer”.“I think there’s zero chance,” he said.“The Gulf crisis is not going to be solved by playing football.”Share on: WhatsApp FILE PHOTO; FIFA President Gianni InfantinoDoha, Qatar | AFP | FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s plan to expand the Qatar World Cup to 48 teams and increase the number of host countries risks worsening existing Gulf diplomatic tensions, claim analysts.The ambitious expansion proposal — which Infantino has optimistically stated might help Middle East peace — could see the extra matches hosted in Kuwait and Oman in 2022.But far from making a politically turbulent region more harmonious, analysts say FIFA’s proposal could deepen regional fissures and leave Kuwait and Oman, as well as Qatar, open to further political arm-twisting from the regional power bloc of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.“There is a very real risk that expanding the World Cup to include Kuwait and Oman would make these two countries vulnerable to the same sort of regional pressure Qatar has faced since 2017,” said Kristian Coates Ulrichsen, a research fellow at Rice University.“Particularly since Kuwait and Oman also have followed their own approaches to regional affairs.”It could also foster resentment in those countries missing out on games, notably Saudi Arabia and the UAE, Ulrichsen added.“The idea of a regional World Cup that includes Kuwait and Oman but not Saudi Arabia or the UAE would likely be a cause of considerable bitterness in Riyadh and Abu Dhabi.”– ‘Makes no sense’ –Since June 2017, World Cup host Qatar has been blockaded by the Saudi-led countries in a bitter political spat, one of the worst Gulf diplomatic conflicts for years.Saudi Arabia and its allies, which also include Egypt, accuse Qatar of promoting terrorism and being too close to Riyadh’s great political and religious rival, Tehran.Qatar denies its rivals’ allegations and accuses them of seeking regime change in Doha.For 21 months — and counting — Saudi Arabia and it allies have imposed a political, economic and travel boycott around Qatar which shows few signs of easing.Notably though, the blockading countries do not include the traditionally neutral Gulf states of Kuwait and Oman, which have been left to tread a politically precarious line.Andreas Krieg of King’s College London, who has worked as an adviser to the Qatari government, said Kuwait and Oman “both have issues with Saudi and the UAE”.Tensions have flared between Kuwait and Saudi Arabia over the management of jointly owned oil fields, while Oman has faced allegations that it has allowed Iranian arms shipments through its territory to Huthi rebels fighting a Saudi-led coalition in Yemen.At the same time, Kuwait has been the regional negotiator in the crisis, while Oman is an economic winner from the conflict, its trade with Qatar jumping 240 per cent since 2016, according to Doha.“The Gulf dispute as it exists would be further exacerbated by having a World Cup over three countries,” added Krieg.