Repair work is now underway on sections of the Sandy Park Gully, near Liguanea, in St. Andrew, as part of efforts to safeguard lives and properties. The work, which commenced on November 23, include: strengthening of the retaining wall and invert; repacking, and extensive repair of damage. Speaking to journalists Tuesday (November 27), following a tour of the area, Minister of State in the Ministry of Transport, Works and Housing, Hon. Richard Azan, said the Government will spend approximately $50 million to undertake the project, which is slated to last for three months. He said sections of the gully suffered significant erosion prior to, and following the passage of recent heavy rains, and residents had appealed to the authorities to address the deterioration of the structure. “I made a promise then that work would start very shortly and I’m here this morning to witness its progress,” the State Minister said. Mr. Azan informed that workers are drawn from communities in close proximity to the project, in order to create employment for the residents. “It falls in the community and the community members will be employed. The contractor has given me the assurance that those who are working are people from the community,” he stated. Mr. Azan said that starting next financial year, money will be set aside for the ongoing maintenance of gullies across the island, in an effort to ensure that the structures remain safe. “We will have to put something in the budget to continue maintaining the structure, especially the invert of the gully, because over time, a small break can lead to the collapse of the gully. We have to make sure that we maintain the work that we are doing now,” he said. The work forms part of a $700 million repair programme, which is being administered by the National Works Agency (NWA). Two years ago six members of one family perished when flood waters associated with Tropical Storm Nicole washed away their home, which was perched precariously on the edge of the gully. The house was washed away after a retaining wall fell under the pressure of flood waters. The contract has been awarded to Y. P Seaton and Associates.
SHEDIAC, N.B. – Some lobster fishermen in eastern New Brunswick tied up their boats and remained onshore Thursday in a protest over the prices they’re getting for lobster.Fishermen in ports such as Pointe-Sapin and Richibucto remained at the docks, saying landings are down and prices are low.“Some processors were telling some fishermen that their price was going to be $5 and $5.50 a pound, and last week they found out from those same buyers and processors that their price was going to be far less. You can imagine the frustration of fishermen right now,” said Michel Richard, an organizer with the Maritime Fishermen’s Union.Fishermen say right now they’re being paid about $4.25 per pound for canners and $4.75 per pound for market lobsters.They say it’s a big drop from about $7.50 per pound in the spring.Richard said fishermen aren’t getting any answers from the processors and buyers about the price drop.“The fishermen are frustrated because they don’t know exactly where to get that information,” he said.But Jerry Amirault, president of the Lobster Producers Association of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, said producers are paying what the market can bear.“At this time the markets are fragile, and we are working with the MFU and the fishermen,” he said.Amirault said the change in the value of the Canadian dollar has had an impact on exports.Since late July the value of the U.S. dollar has gone from $1.35 Canadian to $1.25 Canadian, the equivalent of a 7 per cent drop for Canadian exporters selling in U.S. dollars.The provincial Department of Fisheries issued a statement, saying it is working with the fishermen and the processors.“The price of lobster is determined by market conditions. There are many components of pricing within the marketplace. They include … availability of supply, fluctuation in market demand and fluctuation in exchange rates,” the statement reads.In 2016, the value of New Brunswick’s exports of seafood increased by $157 million to $1.6 billion compared to the year before.It’s not the first time fishermen have protested over lobster prices.In 2013, fishermen in New Brunswick, P.E.I. and Nova Scotia stayed at the docks in a protest over prices. At the time, prices had dipped to about $2.75 per pound for canners and $3.25 per pound for market lobsters.New Brunswick fishermen blocked trucks delivering Maine lobsters to three producers in Cap-Pele and Shediac in 2012.Richard said not all the current lobster fishermen are protesting the prices. He said some of the boats didn’t go out Thursday because of high winds.The fall season, for the zone covering much of the Northumberland Strait, opened Aug. 8 and runs until Oct. 9.— By Kevin Bissett in Fredericton.
The Inaugural “Date for the Cure” Gala took place on February 16th at the Sheraton Universal Hotel.This elegant night of dinner & entertainment was produced by the Invent Group. The event was a grand success, while raising funds of the gala benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Los Angeles County.This engaging evening of entertainment was kicked off by host actor & comedian Kevin Nealon taking the stage with one joke after another and set the evening to be about not only awareness, but laughter and enjoyment.Shortly thereafter Paul McDonald (American Idol) shared his musical talents, followed by a swimwear fashion show by A. Ché, and an exhilarating dance performance by Dancing with the Stars’ Paul Barris and Sharna Burgess. Last but certainly not least Josh Krajcik (X Factor) performed over 30 minutes and the guests couldn’t get enough of his powerful set starting with his famous cover of Etta James’ “At Last” and closed the night with a cover of Rolling Stones’ tune “Wild Horses”.The Sheraton Grand Ballroom set the scene for 350 people who enjoyed this unique spectacular evening. During the VIP hour, attendees enjoyed signature cocktails courtesy of Chambord Vodka.Celebrities in attendance included Twilight Star Nikki Reed, Actors Edwin and Aldis Hodge, Kimberly Caldwell, Chelsea Lately’s Chuy Bravo, Torrance, Coombs, Cheryl Burke from DWTS, and many more.Among the attendees were reigning Miss Universe Olivia Culpo, reigning Miss USA Nana Meriwether, reigning Miss California USA Mabelynn Capeluj, and many other Beauty Queens such as: Reigning Miss California Teen USA Cassidy Wolf, Reigning Miss District of Columbia Allyn Rose, Miss South Carolina USA 2011 Courtney Hope Turner, Miss Teen Hawaii Melissa Paulino, Miss USA 2011 Alyssa Campanella, Miss USA 2009 Kristen Dalton, Miss USA 04 Shandi Fennessey, Miss Teen USA 03 Tami Farrell and Miss Vietnam Deanna Nguyen.Leading up to the event, titleholders Miss Universe Olivia Culpo, Miss USA Nana Meriwether, Miss California USA Mabelynn Capeluj and more donated their time by auctioning a date to the Date for the Cure Gala. Throughout the evening, guests had the opportunity to bid on silent auction items all for much needed funds going directly to Breast Cancer research and treatment.Find out more here.