In the newest installation of NPR‘s Tiny Desk Concert series, brass-driven soul-funk stalwarts Tower of Power cram their ten current members behind the series’ titular desk for a rousing performance. Centered around the band’s famous five-piece horn section, lead vocalist Marcus Scott howls his way the band through a trio of their classic hits from atop an even tinier desk, introducing the instrumentalists as they take their respective turns soloing.The Tower of Power Tiny Desk set begins with “On The Soul Side of Town” and “So Very Hard to Go” and closing with the “eternal question,” “What Is Hip?” While countless trends, styles, and fads have gone from hip to passe over the course of their 50-year run, Tower of Power remains a vital, powerful, wholly hip live band.You can watch Tower of Power’s NPR Tiny Desk concert below via NPR:Tower of Power – NPR Tiny Desk Concert[Video: NPR Music]Tower of Power has an extensive run of late-2018 tour dates ahead of them, culminating with a 4-night, 6-show residency at the Blue Note Honolulu in Honolulu, HI. For a full list of Tower of Power’s upcoming tour dates, head to the band’s website.[via NPR Tiny Desk]
Permitting slows European onshore wind installations, but investment remains high FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享S&P Global Market Intelligence ($):Investments in new onshore wind farms in Europe rose to the highest level ever last year, even as the biggest wind markets on the continent saw a slowdown in new installations, according to an annual report from industry group WindEurope.In 2018, project developers made final investment decisions worth €16.4 billion, up by 11% from the previous year, to finance a total of 12.5 GW of onshore wind capacity, according to the trade body. Wind energy investments continued a trend of geographical diversification, with smaller markets attracting more money for new projects. Investments in non-E.U. countries rose by 75% to reach €5.1 billion even as stalwarts like the U.K., Spain and Sweden continued to attract the most resources.Despite the record investment, WindEurope CEO Giles Dickson warned that the slowdown in permitting procedures that has bogged down onshore projects in major markets like Germany and France, as well as a more challenging environment amid the switch to competitive auctions for renewables in many countries, were seriously threatening the future of the sector.“Beneath the surface, many things are not right” for onshore wind, said Dickson, highlighting that 2018 was the worst year for new installations since 2011. “Growth in onshore wind fell by over half in Germany and collapsed in the U.K. And twelve E.U. countries didn’t install a single wind turbine last year.”Europe installed 11.7 GW of gross additional wind power capacity in 2018, down by 32% from the previous year. In Germany, where a clumsy switch to competitive auctions for renewables and ongoing permitting issues have led to a large backlog of projects, capacity additions decreased by more than half, from 5.3 GW to 2.4 GW. In France, where permitting processes for wind projects have been delayed or even suspended in some parts of the country, installations fell slightly, from 1.7 GW to 1.6 GW.More ($): Onshore wind investment at record high as growth slows in major European markets
By Dialogo February 16, 2010 I am sorry for what happened to our Haitian brothers. May God give them the strength to go on. The US military has reduced its number of troops in Haiti to 13,000 from a post-quake high of some 20,000 because the need has decreased, General Douglas Fraser said. The commander also said the Haitian government was taking back control of the Port-au-Prince airport during daylight hours, with the United States having assumed operations there immediately after the quake. “There are roughly 13,000 US military men and women supporting the efforts here in Haiti,” Fraser said during a visit a month after the earthquake that killed more than 200,000 people. “The international aid and relief efforts have improved and increased in Haiti and we’ve seen an ability to transition those capabilities to other needs around the world.” He called it “a transition of immediate relief capability to an enduring capacity here in Haiti.” Fraser would not, however, provide specifics on how long he expected US troops to remain in Haiti, saying it would depend on needs in the country, where more than one million have been left homeless after the quake.
Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion There are close to 500 brands and 7,700 different flavors of electronic cigarettes for sale on the market. None of these have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), according to the American Lung Association.As noted in the article, 20 percent of children have tried these products without knowing the possible consequences. It’s concerning that there are children being exposed to e-cigarettes when they haven’t been evaluated. The new ban will prevent the possibility of potentially harmful second-hand emissions inhaled in public places.I’m aware that electronic cigarettes have been viewed as a way for people to quit traditional smoking, although this isn’t the case. The FDA has not yet found any e-cigarette to be safe and effective in helping smokers quit.The ban on electronic cigarettes is a positive one. The product that many people believe is aiding them in becoming healthier is the very one that could continue to cause harm to themselves, and potentially to others. Remember when they used to say regular cigarettes were safe?Danielle EptingAlbanyMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?Feds: Albany man sentenced for role in romance scamEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidation After reading the Oct. 24 article, “New York bans vaping anywhere cigarettes are prohibited,” I’m pleased to see action being taken against electronic cigarettes. These kinds of cigarettes have been advertised as a healthier option, but the harmful effects of these products have not been reviewed.
DeAndre Jordan’s value to the Clippers has always been a mixture of the sublime and the ridiculous. His towering presence in the paint opened things up for his teammates, an easy-to-miss aspect of their high-energy offense, and his brute strength wreaked havoc on opposing defenses.It’s been a lethal combination in good times and bad, but mostly good.Jordan was at his impactful best during the Clippers’ 23-point rout Friday of the New York Knicks, when he came within one point of his ninth career 20-point and 20-rebound game. He made 9 of 11 shots en route to 19 points and grabbed 20 rebounds, including six on the offensive end.His offensive aggression helped to open the perimeter for his teammates, including Lou Williams, who scored 21 points on 6-for-16 shooting, and Austin Rivers, who scored 19 on 7-for-13 shooting. He only played 28 minutes, 22 seconds, sitting out the fourth quarter with the game in hand. The Clippers will need all the 10-year veteran can deliver down the stretch, if the hope to rally for a playoff berth in the chaotic Western Conference. As of Saturday morning, they were in ninth place and a half-game out of eighth and 2 1 /2 games out of third.Crazy, right?Almost as crazy as the thought of Jordan playing elsewhere next season. Jordan, the Clippers’ all-time leader in games played for the franchise, can opt out of the final year and $24 million of his contract at season’s end and sign with another NBA team when the free-agent window opens in July.However, Jordan said recently that there are at least 21 regular-season games to be played before a decision can be made about his future. After all, it’s possible he and the Clippers agree to an extension that they could not before 2017-18 begins.As he said in an interview with Michael Lee of Yahoo Sports, “I’m here and that’s what I’m focused on. I’m excited. Like I told somebody the other day, I hope I can play another 10 years here. That’s what I’m focused on now.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error The Clippers did attempt to trade him at the Feb. 8 deadline, but were unsuccessful in completing a deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers, according to numerous reports. They did trade Chris Paul last summer and Blake Griffin in January, leaving Jordan as the sole survivor of Lob City.The departures of Paul and Griffin, and especially Griffin’s five-season, $173-million contract, could make it easier for the Clippers to re-sign Jordan. Any team would covet Jordan’s skills, including his improved free-throw percentage, none more than the Clippers.Plus, the tension that was present while Jordan played with Paul and Griffin and created the greatest period of success in Clippers history has vanished. What’s left is a stubborn, hard-nosed team on the court with a sense of playfulness off it. The current team leaves its fighting on the floor.In many ways, Jordan has emerged as the Clippers’ leader. He bantered loudly in the locker room with his teammates after Friday’s victory, making fun of their postgame attire. They fired back, with Austin Rivers critiquing his multi-colored shirt.Jordan also claimed to reporters that newly-acquired center Boban Marjanovic made an impassioned halftime speech about increasing their defensive pressure, which led to a decisive run in the third quarter against the Knicks. Marjanovic laughed when the reporters approached him.“Me? No,” said Marjanovic, an outgoing 7-foot-3 Serb who has become a fan and locker room favorite since the Clippers acquired him in the Griffin trade Jan. 29 with the Detroit Pistons.“My name has been mentioned (in trades) for the past few years,” Jordan told Yahoo. “So, I’m not tripping on that. I really don’t give a (expletive) at this point. I’m just playing, man, staying locked into the game, playing as hard as I can for this organization because I love this team, and I love where we’re at and the group of guys that I’m playing with, so that’s what makes me happy.”