Load remaining images Photo: Bill McAlaine Over the weekend, Aqueous hit Denver’s Bluebird Theater, selling out the historic theater on Colfax with support from Colorado’s own Evanoff. The Buffalo-based groove rockers held back nothing during the show, playing a fearlessly experimental show highlighting the band’s patented tight improvisations and offering a mix of treasured originals and psychedelic covers.Opening the show with a take on the Super Mario Bros. theme, the band quickly jammed into “Second Sight”, a staple of Aqueous’ live shows since being debuted early last year. From there, the band partially performed “They’re Calling For Ya”, an older tune from the group that has dropped off in recent years, having only been performed four times in 2018, ahead of a well-segued take into “Random Company”. Next up was “Don’t Do It”, which sandwiched the band’s second performance ever of “D.A.R.E.”, a Gorillaz cover that was first brought out during the group’s Gorillaz-theme New Year’s Eve show in Buffalo this year.As for set two, Aqueous kicked things off with a triumphant rendition of “The Median”. Unlike the first set, which saw the group running through a number of tunes and showing off their diversity of sound, in the second set, the band focused in on improvisational jamming across six songs. Following an unfinished “20/20”, the band moved into “Complex Pt. II”, marking the second time the song has been performed in 2018. Next up was “Fearless”, a Pink Floyd cover off 1971’s Meddle, marking the song’s sixth performance ever. With Aqueous playing up until curfew, “Fearless” was used to kick off a non-stop sprint to the show’s end, which also featured “Aldehyde” and “Triangle”.“Aldehyde”[Video: AqueousBand, by C.J. Strehlow]You can check out photos from Aqueous’ sold-out show at Denver’s Bluebird Theater on June 9th below, courtesy of Bill McAlaine.Setlist: Aqueous | Bluebird Theater | Denver, CO | 6/9/2018Set One: Super Mario Bros > Second Sight, They’re Calling For Ya* > Random Company, Don’t Do It > D.A.R.E^ > Don’t Do ItSet Two: The Median, 20/20* > Complex Pt. II, Fearless^^ > Aldehyde > Triangle%**Notes: *Unfinished | ^Gorillaz | ^^Pink Floyd | % With Ending | **Played up until curfewAqueous | Bluebird Theater | Denver, CO | 6/9/2018 | Credit: Bill McAlaine Photo: Bill McAlaine Photo: Bill McAlaine
Lt. Cmdr. Francine Worthington, in charge of patient administration on board the Comfort, felt honored to provide care to Becerra during “the surgery that changed her life.” “A smile is the beginning of love, and the labors of love are labors of peace,” Lieutenant Commander Worthington said. “Collaboration begins one person at a time. Mrs. Becerra represents the beauty of the Colombian people.” Following an examination, the CP’11 medical team determined that Irene was suffering from cataracts and scheduled her for surgery on 6 June. After a recovery of two hours, the oldest surgical patient in the history of the CP’11 team was ready to begin the process of recovering her sight. “I want to thank God, the medical team on board the Comfort, and all those who made this procedure possible,” the patient said. Col. Mauricio Castro, commander of the 70th Marine River Battalion in Tumaco, explained, “As part of the joint work being done by the two countries, on the side of the Colombian military, we have two doctors from the National Navy seeing patients, Air Force engineers who are supporting the construction of the classrooms in Chilvicito, and of course, the National Army providing security for all the personnel and citizens who are participating in this mission.” The aim of the Continuing Promise mission in Colombia was to demonstrate the U.S. Southern Command’s commitment to Colombia and its National Consolidation Plan, which is leading to significant improvements in security, cooperation, the ongoing presence of the Colombian state, and improvement in Colombians’ quality of life. By Dialogo July 14, 2011 The U.S. embassy was represented by Minister-Counselor Perry Holloway, who affirmed that the event is “the best demonstration that in Colombia, people want to consolidate and work [jointly with] the United States.” On this occasion, the Comfort provided medical care to more than 5,000 inhabitants of Tumaco and nearby rural areas, more than 120 surgeries were successfully performed on board, two classrooms were built in the municipality of Chilvicito, veterinary care was offered, three schools were refurbished, and numerous exchanges of knowledge took place involving medical experts from the region. Continuing Promise 2011 (CP’11) made a significant impact on the community through cooperation and training, which promotes stability in the region. All the humanitarian aid provided was offered within the framework of the existing cooperation among the governments of the United States, Colombia, and other countries in the region, cooperation that takes shape in the form of a long-standing friendship with the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean. In addition to humanitarian aid, the Comfort’s visit represents a cultural exchange for all involved. During his time in Colombia, the mission commander, U.S. Navy Capt. Brian C. Nickerson, declared, “we believe that understanding the culture is a prerequisite for building relationships and providing appropriate care.” During his visit, Diego Molano, National Social Action Director for the Office of the President of the Republic, declared that “President Juan Manuel Santos designated him to accompany this action because Tumaco is a fundamental part of the Consolidation Plan and of the strategic choice to recover the Pacific and Tumaco for all Colombians.” In the same way, donations were made by several international NGOs and by the staff of the U.S. embassy in Colombia, which sent clothes and toys, among other items. For the second time in its history, the Colombian city of Tumaco, in the department of Nariño, hosted the visit of the hospital ship Comfort, which arrived in Colombia at the invitation of the national government, the military, and the police, in support of their efforts to consolidate areas where significant progress is being made in maintaining peace and the wellbeing of the inhabitants. Among the noteworthy achievements of Continuing Promise 2011 was the surgery performed on Irene Becerra, a 101-year-old patient who arrived at the Max Seídel School clinic complaining of severe headaches and the loss of vision in her left eye. The various events held during the ship’s visit — between 2 and 12 June — made it possible to integrate the community and bring it into closer contact with the efforts of the local and national government to improve the quality of life in the city. Congratulations (Mao) Colonel Mauricio Castro, I send you a bear hug from USA. I know him since I was a child. He is an excellent human being. God continue blessing you all the days of your life.
A U.S. District Court judge in Virginia dismissed a $5 million civil lawsuit last month against the $21.3 billion Pentagon Federal Credit Union because the allegations of sexual harassment, a hostile work environment, retaliation, age discrimination and wrongful discharge, were not backed up by sufficient facts from the former employee who claimed them.In January, Celia Coleman, 55, of Brandywine, Md., a 31-year former employee, filed the civil suit against PenFed. The lawsuit alleged that a woman supervisor sexually demeaned and assaulted Coleman repeatedly. The lawsuit also charged that the other three female employees encouraged and condoned the sexual harassment and they targeted Coleman for termination.“Accordingly, plaintiff (Coleman) has not pleaded sufficient facts to show that there was any harassing conduct, let alone that it was severe or pervasive,” U.S. District Judge Leonie M. Brinkema in Alexandria, Va., wrote in a 12-page ruling released on March 17.Even though Coleman filed a complaint with her supervisor about being discriminated and targeted by another employee, Coleman did not provide information about alleged specific incidents of such conduct, Judge Brinkema noted in the ruling. 9SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading »
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Chef Alexcia Smith of Valley Stream faced off against celebrity Chef Bobby Flay on Thursday on the Food Network’s cooking competition show Beat Bobby Flay in a Mean Girls-themed episode hosted by Tina Fey.In the first round, Flay challenged Smith and her competitor, stuntwoman-turned-chef Asia Mei, to make the best dish using rutabaga as the main ingredient for the chance to take on Flay in round two. Smith’s rustic rutabaga puree with a warm rutabaga hash won out over Mei’s kimchi rutabaga rösti with rutabaga green apple slaw. But once Smith took on Flay in round two, she had backup from Fey, who started reading from a “Bobby Flay Burnt Book.”“Somebody started a petition that says ‘Keep Bobby Flay out of the Hamptons,’ signed by Ina Garten, Katie Lee, Neil Patrick Harris, Rachael Ray,” joked Fey, as she tried to psyche out Flay so he would lose.That’s because Fey and Flay made a bet that if he lost to Smith, he would have to cook for all 70 members of the Mean Girls‘ Broadway production. Smith chose lamb shwarma as her signature dish to compete against Flay, but in the end, three independent taste testers named Flay the winner — yet Flay cooked for the production crew anyway.Born in Kingston, Jamaica and raised in Hempstead, 34-year-old Chef Smith graduated from The Culinary Institute of America in 2006, which served to launch a career that found her managing food services for corporate clients, such as The New York Times and Condé Nast. Today she is a private chef, who has worked for a number of celebrities, such as Bow Wow and Alicia Keys, and provides catering, cooking lessons, and host of other services.“I came here to prove that private chefs play a major role in this game and I’m still really proud of what I accomplished tonight,” she said.For those who missed it, the episode, “Fey vs. Flay,” will air again air on November 3 and 4 or can be purchased on YouTube.
One Wybelenna is the essence of Palm Springs modernism.Suburb: BrookfieldArchitect: Shaun Lockyer Architects“It’s roots were paying reference to Jim Burrel House who was of the godfathers of modernism in Brisbane. It’s classic, classic 60s modernism,” Lockyer said. The ‘D house’ in New Farm has award winning interiors. Photo: Patrick Bingham-HallSuburb: New FarmArchitect: Donovan Hill Architects“A classic gorgeous modern home of a contemporary nature,” Lockyer said.ONE WYBELENNA Andrew and Christine North are selling Lantern House — a contemporary take on mid-century modern design.Some of Brisbane’s best homes have something in common — a tip of the hat to the 1950s.Everything old is new again in Brisbane house design with experts revealing new homes are now taking the best of the past and bringing it into the present.One of Brisbane’s most prominent modernist houses, Lantern House, at 63 Gordon Rd, Bardon, has now been listed for sale and the $1.645 million price tag reflects the standing of the home.The flat rooved, high ceiling home uses a lot of glass, clever orientation and captured outdoor light to make it feel bigger than it actually is, according to award winning Brisbane architect Shaun Lockyer who designed the home.“I’ve done 60 houses since I’ve done that house and it would still stand up as one of the best built houses I’ve ever done,” he said.“That house has been a watershed in many regards.”Andrew North and his wife Christine are the home’s second owners, having bought the property in 2011.“We’d often walk up and down the road and just admire it from the street so when it came on the market we were very excited.“The colours that are used in the front and in the tile, the (ceiling) height that’s been used and the windows that give you the light. They’re the three things that make it a really lovely place to live,” Mr North said.Marketing agent for Place Paddington, Tim Douglas, said potential buyers saw it as a contemporary classic.“A unique home like that always gathers interest from buyers and people who are savvy about architecture as well. They’ll want to have a look at something that’s being done by a good architect.”The home can truly be described as part of one of the more influential architectural movements — modernism.Modernism rose to prominence in 1950s and 60s America when stars of stage and screen made Palm Springs, California their playground.The style uses smart design to help a home work with its surrounds. If you like open floor plans, full-wall glass doors that blur the lines between indoor/outdoor living spaces, high internal ceilings and flat roofs, you can thank the modernist masters of last century.Given modernism thrived in the California sunshine, it’s no surprise Brisbane’s current crop of designers still use it as a template for our city’s most beautiful homes, according to Mr Lockyer.“The issue of protecting from deep sun penetration — shading facades and creating houses that breathe are things that are common to both areas.“People recognise the houses as having very flat roofs — they’re dominated by very strong horizontal and vertical planes.”Mr Lockyer said contemporary takes on this 1950s style continue to gain popularity among property owners looking to create beautiful functional homes.He said Lantern House isn’t the only contemporary Brisbane home that sets modernist hearts aflutter.“We are spoiled for choice in Brisbane,” he said describing three of his favourites.THE C HOUSEMore from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this homeless than 1 hour agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor7 hours agoThe C House.” If you asked a hundred architects in Brisbane and they didn’t say that’s the best house in Brisbane, I’d be surprised,” Shaun Lockyer said. Photo: Rob Maccoll.Suburb: CoorparooArchitect: Donovan Hill Architects“When I saw that house in a magazine … I was living in Aubrey Wodonga at the time and we were thinking about moving to Melbourne or to Brisbane,” Mr Lockyer said.“I literally said to my wife, ‘If a house like that can be built in Brisbane I want to go and live there.’THE D HOUSE
Niger Prime Minister Brigi Rafini Authorities in Niger have ordered all schools around the capital Niamey to be closed until Monday in its fight against Meningitis which has killed at least 85 people.Niger’s prime minister Brigi Rafini ordered the vaccination of all children aged 2 up to 15 years against the disease which kills.More than 900 cases of the disease have been diagnosed since January, resulting in 85 deaths.The government says its in need of more than 1 million doses of meningitis vaccine but only about half of that is available.He appealed to Niger’s allies and the World Health Organization to help make up the shortage.The meningitis virus attacks the lining surrounding the brain and spinal cord. It could lead to deafness and severe brain damage. About half the cases are fatal.
Egypt police general gunned down in street Street vendors in Cairo have had a terrible Labor Day. The government cleared over 500 vendors from the biggest square in the city, ostensibly to ease traffic congestion. As CCTV’s Adel El Mahrouky reports, some of those vendors have been plying their trade at the Ramses square for over 30 years, and they’re angry that they now have to get an entirely new location. Related Nairobi street food vendors doing brisk business amid rising living cost Nigeria’s Lagos state government cracking down on street vendors
Firefighters work at the site of a building leveled by a gas explosion in Szczyrk, Poland on Dec. 4. AGENCJA GAZETA/GRZEGORZ CELEJEWSKI/VIA REUTERS Around 100 firemen and 50 policeofficers were on the scene, a state broadcaster said.(Reuters) The bodies of three adults and twochildren have been found in the rubble so far, they added. Poland – Five people died after a three-story building in the southernPolish ski resort of Szczyrk collapsed on Wednesday following a gas explosion,local authorities said. Up to eight people could have been inthe building and firemen are continuing to search for other victims, accordingto authorities.
“But England I believe has a good chance. Now they are doing very well at youth level. read also:Cannavaro: Don’t compare Messi with Maradona “They have done well with Gareth Southgate at the World Cup. I was hoping at the European Championship they would be one of the contenders.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Former Arsenal boss, Arsene Wenger, believes England have young players capable of reaching the heights of Lionel Messi. Wenger admits Kylian Mbappe and Paris Saint-Germain team-mate Neymar are the two obvious contenders to fill the void when they drop off. But he also says: “It’s now about the next generation and the next generation may be French. At the moment, the leader could be Mbappe. Of course Neymar, we know.Advertisement Loading… Promoted ContentWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone6 Most Breathtaking Bridges In The WorldPortuguese Street Artist Creates Hyper-Realistic 3D GraffitiCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The World5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year7 Worst Things To Do To Your Phone
Ronald Koeman’s men are without a win in their opening three Barclays Premier League fixtures and were knocked out of the Europa League at the play-off stage after defeat to Danish champions FC Midtjylland on Thursday. Add to that a number of injuries to key personnel and constant transfer speculation surrounding Victor Wanyama and Sadio Mane and it has been a difficult start to the campaign for the south coast club. Press Association However, Pelle says the players remain united and is optimistic they can put their European disappointment behind them with victory over Norwich at St Mary’s. “We have an amazing group,” said the Italian forward. “We don’t have a problem with each other. Football is a lot about confidence. When the result doesn’t come everything looks like it is not your moment. “We can’t any more think about what has happened. Of course we have to look at the game to improve, but now there is a new season. “We need to work hard to again, try to get the same things we did last season. We will do our best and we will be sure that we will have better moments.” Pelle, who has three goals to his name this season, has also called for Saints fans to stick with the team, with the Italy international keen to meet their expectations. “The fans have been supporting the club for a lifetime,” he added. “They, of course, are free to think many things. We have to give them back the feeling that we can have positive moments “They always show us a lot of love and patience. The club has improved a lot because of the great supporters. Together we can go one way to win the game and be back. “Norwich come to play in St Mary’s and we are sure it’s going to be tough to beat us, but we have to show it. No words, just working hard to get the best result.” Graziano Pelle insists Southampton must move on from their indifferent start to the season, beginning against Norwich on Sunday.