Ohio State womens ice hockey to take on New Hampshire

Ohio State womens ice hockey to take on New Hampshire

The OSU women’s ice hockey team prepares to take the ice prior to an exhibition game against Western Ontario at the Ohio State Ice Rink Sept. 28. OSU tied 2-2.Credit: Grant Miller / Copy ChiefThe Ohio State women’s hockey team was a model of inconsistency last season.  Coming into its season opener against the University of New Hampshire this weekend, the Buckeyes are hoping to ditch the Jekyll and Hyde show and find consistency in their team.OSU comes off a season where it went 15-17-5, but earned a 9-4-3 record following winter break. The late push gave the Buckeyes a template for success they can build upon this weekend in Columbus.Given its roster makeup, OSU is in a much different position than it was at the start of last year. The Buckeyes graduated five seniors but retained the majority of their veteran skaters.“I think that they’re a together group,” said coach Nate Handrahan. “That’s not to say that last year’s group wasn’t, but it just seems that this group has come together a lot quicker.”OSU returns a large group players from last season, including nine of its top ten point scorers. Their key offensive departure was forward Ally Tarr, who led the Buckeyes with 32 points in 36 games last season.Defensively, OSU’s biggest loss was Annie Svedin, who logged 134 games over four seasons on the blueline. Buckeye senior defensemen Kari and Sara Schmitt might be forced to help pick up the slack, as the pair combined for 51 points last season.While the Buckeyes have retained key veteran skaters, it’s a different story in the goal crease. Redshirt-junior goalie Stacy Danczak is the lone returner in her position, and on Thursday, Handrahan announced freshman Kassidy Sauve would be Friday’s starter.Danczak, Sauve and freshman goalie Alex LaMere each saw a period of action in OSU’s 2-2 exhibition tie against Western Ontario last weekend. Sauve started the game, making seven saves in the first period.“Everyone played well,” Kari Schmitt said. “It was a good start to the season and we’re ready to go.”Sauve won a gold medal with Team Canada at the International Ice Hockey Federation U-18 Women’s World Championship and comes to OSU following a minor-midget career where she became the first woman to play in the Ontario Hockey League cup.“She’s got some patience and she’s pretty agile side to side,” Handrahan said. “She’s trying to let shooters make the first move as opposed to her trying to dictate the play.”Aside from goaltending, the Buckeyes’ minimal roster turnover has put them ahead of schedule in introducing tactics and systems into their play, redshirt-senior defenseman Kara Gust said.“We can already see it on the ice in our practices,” Gust said. “Our systems are already getting there quicker and I think we’ll have a better start to the season this year than we did last year.”Positive fitness tests have also been an indication of the Buckeyes preparedness for the season, Handrahan said.The University of New Hampshire Wildcats welcome seven true freshmen, a new head coach and new assistant coach to their roster this season. Coach Hilary Witt is coming off of a two-year stint as an assistant coach and head scout for the U.S. Women’s National Team.The Wildcats dropped their season-opener, 2-1, on the road against the University of Maine last weekend.The puck is set to drop on Friday at 6:07 p.m. and Saturday at 2:07 p.m. at the OSU Ice Rink. read more

Ohio State womens volleyball falls to No 2 Wisconsin

OSU junior outside hitter Katie Mitchell (left) and sophomore middle Taylor Sandbothe attempt to block a Wisconsin shot as senior setter Taylor Sherwin (8) looks on during a match on Nov. 21 at St. John Arena. OSU lost, 3-0. Credit: Adrienne Robbins / Lantern photographer After sweeping Iowa on Wednesday, the Ohio State women’s volleyball team was swept by No. 2 Wisconsin (25-17, 25-15, 25-22) on Friday.Despite a slow start in the first two sets, the No. 20 Buckeyes showed more aggression against the Badgers (26-2, 16-1) in the third set.OSU got its first lead of the entire match in the third set and gained a 3-0 lead to start. The Buckeyes led 15-14 at one point, but an 11-7 run by the Badgers gave them the set and match win.OSU freshman outside hitter Erin Chatman said that the team needs to bring the aggressive play from the third set to its match against Minnesota on Wednesday.“I believe we need to bring the same energy that we had in the third set and keep working hard during practice,” Chatman said.Junior outside hitter Elizabeth Campbell was the lone Buckeye to score double-digit kills against the Badgers with 10. Sophomore middle blocker Taylor Sandbothe had nine kills, while senior outside hitter Erin Sekinger had eight kills.The Badgers had two players with double-digit kills in freshman outside hitter Kelli Bates, who had 13 kills on 24 attacks, and senior outside hitter Courtney Thomas, who had 10 kills on 19 attacks.Senior outside hitter/defensive specialist Deme Morales, a native of Amherst, Ohio, tallied eight digs for the Badgers.With the loss, the Buckeyes are now 19-11 overall and 10-8 in the Big Ten, and while that may not be the best record in the conference, OSU has a shot of still making the NCAA Tournament.OSU is one of six Big Ten teams to be ranked in the American Volleyball Coaches Association top-25 poll.Sophomore libero Valeria León said that the team needs to go out Wednesday and get a win for the seniors, especially with hopes of making the NCAA Tournament.“Right now we just need to play for them,” León said. “I feel like it’s gonna be a really exciting night for us and especially for them.”For the Badgers, they won their 17th-consecutive conference match, which is a school-record.The Buckeyes’ match on Wednesday is its last home contest of the regular season, as they’re set to take on the Golden Gophers (18-11, 8-10). The Buckeyes lost to the then-No. 17 Golden Gophers earlier this season in five sets. Wednesday’s contest is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. read more

Ramjattan defends illegal SARA Director

Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedSARA’s Deputy Director ‘squatting on the job,’ says Opposition LeaderJuly 25, 2018In “latest news”Nandlall asks court to remove Prof. Thomas, Heath-Retemyer from SARAMay 1, 2019In “latest news”SARA Bill: Going after ‘loot’, not person will absolve presumption of innocence in fair trial – RamjattanMarch 14, 2017In “latest news” Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan on Tuesday defended what is considered to be an illegal occupancy of the position of Director of the State Assets Recovery Agency (SARA) by Professor Clive Thomas.“He is there lawfully…he has been there for a couple of years now and all of a sudden people feel that he’s illegal? Apparently, this illegal viral is all over the place,” he said when asked to comment on the situation.Professor Thomas was Head of the State Assets Recovery Unit – which was the name of the organisation when it was operating without a legislative framework.However, in 2017, the requisite legislation was passed, prompting SARU to be renamed SARA.The SARA Act stipulates that “Within a period of not more than four months from the date of commencement of this Act, the Parliamentary Committee on appointments on the notification by the Minister shall recommend to the National Assembly a person to be appointed as Director of the SARA”.However, this was never done and Professor Thomas has remained as Head of SARA – which goes against the law.Notably, Professor Thomas was politically appointed to that post and this raises concern about the credibility and integrity of the work of that agency which is empowered to seize citizens’ assets.In fact, according to the law, the Head of SARA will be answerable to no one.One of the major concerns of stakeholders was that of SARA’s Head being bestowed with a seemingly unlimited amount of power, practically second to the President’s.SARA recently filed lawsuits against several persons including former President Bharrat Jagdeo in relation to the sale of lands at Sparendaam, popularly known as “Pradoville 2”.But Jagdeo said he is unbothered by this action since he believes it is just politics at play. read more

Igloo ice cream parlour opens at Stabroek

Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedSterling Products Limited takes Ice-cream magic to EnmoreNovember 7, 2018In “Business”Igloo Ice Cream donates footwear to Wakapoa studentsSeptember 7, 2014In “Local News”Huge profit losses due to Essequibo power outagesDecember 12, 2013In “Local News” A customer enjoying an Igloo ice cream cone from the new location.Local ice-cream pioneer, Sterling Products Ltd. (SPL) has opened a new outlet to make its premium Igloo Ice Cream available to customers near Stabroek Market Square in the heart of Georgetown.The new outlet was launched on March 1, 2019 and is strategically located on the upper-story of the KFC fast-food restaurant adjacent to Stabroek Market.It provides a cool, clean and comfortable getaway where customers can enjoy delicious, refreshing Igloo ice-cream above the hustle and bustle of the market square.CEO of SPL, Mr. Ramsay Ali said the new outlet is part of the company’s ongoing expansion in order to meet customers’  demand for Igloo ice cream. He added that the new branch will serve an extended range of top-quality ice creams, including exciting new flavours and variants to delight both adults and children.He noted that the array of ice cream flavours available at the Stabroek parlour is intended to deliver the best quality value to a broad spectrum of customers, catering for those who are inclined to stick to old favourites, as well as those who are tempted to try out tantalizing new varieties.While the Stabroek outlet will be fully stocked with standard ice cream flavours, it will also offer newly-created varieties including pistachio, strawberry-cheesecake, cherry-vanilla, mint-chocolate, midnight-cookies-and-cream, maple-almond, marshmallow, fudge brownie and piecrust.He added that the company is constantly seeking to add value for customers by creating new flavours and enhancing the taste, all under the strictest hygienic conditions. He disclosed that SPL invested about US$1M in the last half of 2018 to enhance quality and expand production.Additionally, Sterling Products Ltd. continues to conduct customer service training to its employees to ensure that visitors to Igloo outlets are pleased with all aspects of the service offered. Employees are paid competitive salaries and enjoy comfortable working conditions, so that they are happy to work with the company, Ali asserted.Sterling Products Limited was established in Guyana some 62 years back (1954) under IS0 9001 quality management.The Igloo ice cream continues to move from strength to strength in the Guyanese market by producing a high-quality product that is unmatched for sheer accessibility and ease of purchase, like the newest outlet above KFC near Stabroek Market square overlooking the Demerara River.Prior to the launch of the Stabroek Market branch, SPL launched a branch at Enmore branch in 2018. [Extracted and Modified from Sterling Products Press Statement] read more

CARICOM boss pushes Regions case for building resilience at intl conference

CARICOM Secretary-General Ambassador Irwin LaRocque (centre) with other Caribbean Community representatives at the Conference.Climate change remains an ‘existential threat’ to the Caribbean, CARICOM Secretary-General Ambassador Irwin LaRocque reminded an International Conference on Building Resilience to Natural Disasters, held in in Budapest, Romania, on Tuesday, according to a release from the Caricom Secretariat.“It has been recorded that between 2000 and 2017, Member States of our Community suffered at least seven major disasters in which damage ranged from 33% to 226% of the affected country’s GDP”,  Ambassador LaRocque told the high-level Conference, attended by several CARICOM Foreign Ministers.He pointed to the 2017 experience where the estimated cost of reconstruction after the devastation by Hurricanes Irma and Maria was put at US$5 billion region-wide.“For us therefore, especially with the prediction of more intense and frequent storms, seeking to build resilience against that phenomenon is urgent,” he said.Romania, which currently holds the Presidency of the Council of the European Union, is using the Conference for debate and exchange of good practices regarding resilience to natural disasters, and to identify and develop cooperation models between States in order to reduce the effects of global warming.Ambassador LaRocque, in highlighting the factors required to build the necessary resilience, stressed the importance of having access to concessional development financing well in advance of a disaster. He however bemoaned the fact that Member States, because of being labelled middle-income countries, cannot access this type of financing, since the principal criterion used is GDP per capita.“From our perspective, there is urgent need for the international community and international financial institutions to change the criteria for access to concessional development financing by middle-income SIDS.  Substantial weight must be accorded to our vulnerability in this regard. The OECD has begun looking at the issue. We need the support of all OECD Members,” the Secretary General told the Conference.Ambassador LaRocque also pointed to  the ongoing threat to the Region’s Financial Services sector from the ‘unwarranted labelling of some of our economies as non-cooperative tax jurisdictions by the EU’.  Financial services, he emphasised, is a significant contributor to public finances in many CARICOM States and a source of funding for building resilience.Noting that the EU blacklisting ‘amounts to an attack on our economies’, the Secretary-General acknowledged host country Romania’s understanding of CARICOM’s concerns with regards to the EU’s actions and processes and its assistance in bringing them to the attention of the appropriate EU authorities. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedPresidents of Cuba, Chile to join CARICOM Heads at 39th meetingJuly 2, 2018In “latest news”CARICOM and Argentina looking towards closer cooperationDecember 19, 2018In “Regional”CARICOM boss says regional integration provides resilienceMay 18, 2017In “latest news” read more