Monaco, Principality of Monaco | AFP | Monaco insisted on Wednesday that no deal with Real Madrid has been reached for teenage French international striker Kylian Mbappe.Monaco vice president Vadim Vasilyev also said in a press conference the principality club were in discussions with Mbappe over a new contract extension.The 18-year-old has been the subject of intense transfer speculation linking him to a world-record 180-million-euro ($210m, £160m) move, with Spanish sports daily Marca reporting on Tuesday that a fee had been agreed between Real and the French Ligue 1 champions.“I have read a lot of things in the press,” said Vasilyev.“So far we have not signed any agreements with Real or any other club. All big clubs want him, he’s the great hope of European football.“We are in discussions over a contract extension with Kylian and we hope to reach an agreement.”When pushed further on whether Mbappe, whose current contract runs until 2019, would leave or sign a new deal, the Russian said: “No, he should not go.“Why should he do it? He is a player that everyone will want, even if he has a year left, everyone will be on him.”Mbappe burst onto the scene last season as he helped Leonardo Jardim’s side claim their first French league title since 2000 and reach the Champions League semi-finals.The pacy forward scored 15 Ligue 1 goals and six in as many starts in Europe, all of which came in the Champions League knock-out stages.Having been linked with possible moves to a host of top clubs, Real had appeared to be on the brink of getting their man.But Vasilyev insisted that Mbappe needed to be given time to make a decision of that magnitude at such a young age.“There is too much media pressure around him,” he added. “It’s not easy for him, but he handles it well… We want to take the time to chat quietly with the player and his family.“You have to give him time, do not rush things too fast.”Mbappe has been wooed so hard by some of Europe’s top clubs that Monaco raised the red card and warned the circling predators that they could be reported to FIFA, world football’s governing body.“Top European football clubs made contact with Kylian Mbappe and his entourage without our authorisation,” Monaco said on their website on Tuesday.Mbappe is one of two players who is reported to be close to a world-record breaking move, with Monaco’s Ligue 1 rivals Paris Saint-Germain hoping to seal a 220-million-euro capture of Brazilian star Neymar from Barcelona.“I think it would be a good thing if Neymar played in Ligue 1, it would be great for France,” Vasilyev said.Portuguese coach Jardim has already lost several key players that helped his young side to their amazing successes last season.Portuguese attacking midfielder Bernardo Silva left for Manchester City, before being followed to the Etihad Stadium by full-back Benjamin Mendy, as he became the most expensive defender of all-time for £52 million.Defensive midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko also moved to the Premier League to join champions Chelsea, while forward Valere Germain was snapped up by Marseille.At the press conference Monaco unveiled their own new close-season recruits though, including former Switzerland goalkeeper Diego Benaglio and Belgian international midfielder Youri Tielemans.And Vasilyev insisted that the club would continue to look to youth to provide success.“We will not change our goals,” he said.“We are talking about progression and moving forwards, but always in the economic interest of the club, I hope we can do that.”Share on: WhatsApp
He hopes there will be fewer stoppages for referees to consult monitors than seen during other events such as the Champions League last season or the recent Women’s World Cup.“I think fans want to see those clear and obvious mistakes changed and put right,” Masters said in China, where he has been attending the Premier League’s pre-season Asia Trophy.“But they don’t want to see the Premier League or English football interrupted, or the pace of the game changed.“I think the only difference you might see is the referees using the referee review area a bit more sparingly and relying more on the VAR for the more subjective decisions.“But we are putting something new into the Premier League and if it needs to be refined or improved or tweaked we will look at it when the moment arises.“We’ve got to let it happen first and keep an open mind about whether it is really working.”Share on: WhatsApp FILE PHOTO: VARShanghai, China | AFP | Premier League interim chief executive Richard Masters admits VAR is certain to cause “controversy” when the technology makes its English top-flight debut in the forthcoming season.The video referee system will be used for the first time in the Premier League after its introduction was delayed for a year to allow time to develop the system.VAR has been used in England in the FA Cup and League Cup, as well as in numerous other foreign leagues and tournaments including the Champions League.It hasn’t been a huge success, with complaints from managers and fans about the slowness of the system and mistakes made by the officials.“I have no doubt it will create some controversy because it is about the big decisions but we are prepared for that,” Masters said.“We have spent two years working up to this point, and we were committed to doing it in our heads for two years.“We have been training and testing and making sure when it happens, particularly on Saturday afternoons when we have got multiple matches going on, that we have a number of VARs trained. We feel that is done and we are ready to launch it.”Masters is adamant the Premier League have looked at ways to ensure VAR operates effectively, taking lessons from the initial use of the system elsewhere.
Image Courtesy: Stumps and BailsAdvertisement f9ioNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsbwk9lWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E9( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) xklWould you ever consider trying this?😱c05Can your students do this? 🌚7pk4aeRoller skating! Powered by Firework Australian all-rounder Mitchell Marsh will be out for four to six weeks after suffering a fracture to his right hand. The fracture resulted after Marsh punched a wall in a fit of rage after his dismissal in a Sheffield Shield encounter.Advertisement Image Courtesy: Stumps and BailsThe injury means that Marsh will miss the start of the Aussie home season. The incident took place during Western Australia’s clash against Tasmania where Marsh took out his frustration with a punch on the dressing room wall after his dismissal.The all-rounder managed to suffer a fracture despite donning his batting gloves on, which gives a glimpse of the impact imparted by the punch. He managed to comment on this peculiar situation by stating:Advertisement “It’s a good lesson for me, hopefully it’s a good lesson for other people as well,” he told reporters.“It’s pretty uncharacteristic of me to want to punch a wall. I’m a pretty easygoing sort of bloke. The point I wanted to stress to the lads (was) that I was really sorry and it’s not an example I wanted to be setting.”Advertisement Read Also:Sourav Ganguly : Heading BCCI will be easier than captaining India!Echoing dominance : Indian women’s cricket team wraps up ODI series against South Africa 3-0 Advertisement
Why has Trump caught Clinton in the polls?PGA Tour commissioner Timothy Finchem said Mr Trump’s current profile had made it “difficult” to attract sponsors.”It’s fundamentally a sponsorship issue,” said Mr Finchem.Luxury car maker Cadillac has reportedly not renewed its sponsorship deal.”Donald Trump is a brand, a big brand, and when you’re asking a company to invest millions of dollars in branding a tournament and they’re going to share that brand with the host, it’s a difficult decision,” he said.However, Mr Finchem insisted the decision to move the event to Mexico City from Florida, where it has been held for the past 55 years, was not political.”From a golf standpoint we have no issues with Donald Trump. From a political standpoint we are neutral. PGA Tour has never been involved or cares to be involved in presidential politics,” he added.The PGA Tour has signed new seven-year sponsorship deal with Grupo Salinas, and the first WGC-Mexico Championship will held in March next year.Mr Trump said the decision marked a “sad day for Miami, the US and the game of golf”.”This decision only further embodies the very reason I am running for president of the United States,” he said.The venue for the event has not been officially confirmed, but media reports say it will take place at the Club de Golf Chapultapec outside Mexico City.”I hope they have kidnapping insurance,” Mr Trump told Fox News.Mr Finchem said that a member of his staff had already confirmed that this was in place.”I haven’t inquired about the detail,” he said. “But I made the point that maybe that’s something we don’t want to advertise.” Mr Trump said the PGA had “put profit ahead of thousands of American jobs”.On the campaign trail, Mr Trump has portrayed Mexico as undermining the US economy.
All four Rio Hondo League boys basketball teams won first-round games in the CIF-Southern Section Division III-AA playoffs, and all five Almont League teams were shown the exit door Friday. Monrovia, a Rio Hondo League at-large team, stunned Almont League champion Schurr, 64-63. Temple City, a 62-46 winner over Montebello, will be on the road Tuesday against No. 7 Savanna, a 51-48 winner over Lompoc Cabrillo. No. 3 La Ca ada advanced with a 47-31 victory over Alhambra and will be on the road against No. 10 Crossroads. Pasadena (25-2), Division II-AA’s top-ranked team, opened the playoffs with a 70-39 victory over Golden Valley and will face Chaffey (14-14) on the road. No. 2 Renaissance Academy (26-1) advanced to the Division III-A quarterfinals against host Santa Fe (22-7), a 48-46 winner over Santa Ana Calvary Chapel. The Wildcats (13-12) will host Tri-Valley League champion Oak Park (21-6), a 66-57 first-round winner over Morro Bay, in the second round Tuesday. South Pasadena (18-9) knocked off No. 8 Carpinteria 70-61 and will host No. 9 Windward (20-7), an 81-77 overtime winner over Animo Leadership. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 4485 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – NEAT (Northern Environmental Action Team) has started a gofundme page in hopes of raising enough funds to go to Cleveland for the American Community Gardening Association’s National Conference. They have been invited to present, but don’t currently have the money in the budget to go.“We have developed a food security program called Food Secure Kids that has worked with more than 1000 K-6 students since its inception. These students learn about their food system, where food comes from, what you need to grow it and how to eat healthy meals by eating a rainbow. And they all get to plant a garden with their class to reinforce what they’re learning.”The goal is to send 2 people to Cleveland but they need funds to feed and get them there.“Being able to attend this conference is a big goal for us and would be a fantastic opportunity to spread the word about this program. We would be eternally grateful for the helping hand!”You can click here to visit the gofundme page.- Advertisement –
Burak Yilmaz 1 Guangzhou Evergrande are lining up a bumper offer to take Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea target Burak Yilmaz to China.All three Premier League clubs have held a long-term interest in the free-scoring Galatasaray star, who has hit 47 league goals in 74 appearances since arriving from Trabzonspor in 2011 – as well as 10 goals in 21 Champions League outings.But now, according to Turkish newspaper Fotospor, Evergrande have made him their priority target and could be willing to double his current salary to tempt him to the far east.Former Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro is currently the manager of the Chinese side and it has been reported that he has earmarked Yilmaz as the man he wants to lead the line.That could encourage Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea to reignite their interest in time for the January transfer window despite the forward having four years left on his contract.
Darren Bent believes Manchester United target Ron Vlaar is one of the best centre-backs in the world.Vlaar is out of contract at Villa Park and looks unlikely to sign a new deal after claiming he has the ability to “go a step higher”.Bent believes that statement is disrespectful to the Midlands club, but admits the 30-year-old Netherlands international has the talent to play for a European giant so long as he can remain fully fit.The former Villa striker told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “He has had a frustrating year with injures, picking up little niggles here and there, but as people saw at the  World Cup, when he is on top form he is one of the best defenders in the world.“He is solid, he is quick, he has got everything to be a top defender.“It is a bit disrespectful to say he is bigger than Villa, because Villa is a big club, but it his decision and he has got all the attributes to be one of the best centre-backs in the world.”
1 Tottenham are hot on the trail of Monaco striker Anthony Martial.The teenage attacker, who is tipped as one of France’s brightest prospects, was watched by Spurs’ scouting network throughout last season.Chelsea and Aston Villa have also shown an interest in the 19-year-old and the French outfit have slapped a stunning £40m price tag on him.But according to Spanish newspaper AS, Mauricio Pochettino’s men are ready to test their resolve to keep the forward by tabling a bid.Whilst Monaco want to keep their star man, failure to turn around a two-goal deficit against Valencia in the second-leg of their Champions League qualifying match next week could mean the club are forced to sell.Martial exploded onto the scene two seasons ago and hit 11 goals in all appearances last term. Anthony Martial
The Senior Citizens League said a study it has done showed that in eight spending areas, people over age 65 have lost 40 percent of their purchasing power since 2000. This finding reflects factors such as big increases for gasoline, home heating oil and prescription drugs. Shannon Benton, the group’s executive director, said it supports legislation that would base the adjustment on a special gauge of the Consumer Price Index, the most closely followed inflation barometer. It would be weighted to better reflect the goods and services that older people are buying. David Sloane, director of government relations for AARP, which represents people 50 and older, said the cost-of-living adjustment is critical because so many depend on Social Security for most of their retirement income. “Just under one in three older Americans count on Social Security for nearly all of their income and almost two-thirds of beneficiaries count on Social Security for at least half of their income,” he said. Part of the Social Security increase will be eaten up by a rise in the cost of Medicare, the health care program that covers the elderly and disabled. The government said this month that Medicare premiums will rise 3.1 percent next year, which comes to $2.50 to $96.40 per month. That is the lowest Medicare premium increase in six years. Next year’s cost-of-living increase will go to more than 54 million people. Nearly 50 million receive Social Security benefits; the rest get Supplemental Security Income payments for the poor. The average retired worker will see the monthly benefit check rise from $1,055 to $1,079. A couple, both receiving Social Security benefits, will see their monthly check go from $1,722 to $1,761, an increase of $39. The standard SSI payment for an individual will go from $623 per month to $637. The average monthly check for a disabled worker will go from $981 to $1,004. The government said nearly 12 million wage earners will pay higher taxes next year because the maximum amount of Social Security earnings subject to the payroll tax will rise from $97,500 currently to $102,000. The Social Security Administration on Monday had a ceremony to highlight the opening wave of baby boomer retirements, a generation of 78 million people born from 1946 to 1964. The first of those boomers will turn 62 next year, making them eligible for Social Security benefits. An estimated 10,000 people per day will become eligible for Social Security benefits over the two decades, putting a severe strain on the pension program. If no changes are made, the Social Security trust fund is projected to deplete its reserves in 2041 and will begin paying out more in benefits that it collects in payroll taxes in 2017. Medicare is facing even greater problems because of the rapidly rising cost of health care. President George W. Bush pledged to make changes to Social Security the top priority of his second term. But his plan to provide private accounts for younger workers went nowhere in Congress and Republicans and Democrats remain deadlocked.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WASHINGTON – With essentials like food, gasoline and medical care all rising at a faster clip, an extra $24 a month likely won’t go very far. But that is the boost the typical retiree will see in Social Security checks come January. The 2.3 percent increase in the cost-of-living adjustment that will go to 50 million Social Security recipients is the smallest in four years even though many prices are rising more quickly this year than last year. Blame it on the vagaries of how the government computes the annual COLA. The price change is based on the amount the Consumer Price Index increases from July through September from one year to the next. In the past two years, using the third quarter as a benchmark boosted the inflation adjustment, especially the 2006 increase, because it reflected the fact that gasoline and other energy products soared in September 2005 after Gulf Coast refineries shut down in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.But this year, energy costs, which were up in the spring, have been falling in the summer, a fact that lowered the COLA change. However, analysts are expecting energy prices to resume rising in coming months given a recent run-up in global oil markets that has seen crude oil prices at record highs, close to $90 per barrel. Big increases in food costs and medical care this year have been offset to a certain extent by moderation in categories of goods that older people tend to buy less of, such as computers and consumer electronics. “Retirees are going to feel a disconnect this year between the COLA increase and the reality of the inflation they face,” said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Economy.com. “If this calculation were done in another three months, it would be measurably higher.” The new cost-of-living figure announced Wednesday by the Social Security Administration is the smallest increase since a 2.1 percent boost in 2004. It is a full percentage point lower than the 3.3 percent adjustment for 2007. In 2006, the COLA increase was 4.1 percent, the largest in 15 years. Advocates for the elderly said the small increase highlighted the need to revamp the cost-of-living adjustment to better reflect prices paid by retired people, including the money they spend on health care.