Undergraduate Student Government and The New York Times are teaming up to increase print readership at USC.As part of The New York Times’ efforts to reach out to universities, it agreed to have a one-month trial of free newspapers on the University Park Campus starting Monday.There will be 40 newspapers distributed in five racks across campus. The locations of the racks are still being finalized.“Where you can walk around and pick up a Daily Trojan, you’ll be able to walk around and pick up a more national newspaper like The New York Times,” USG President Monish Tyagi said. “The idea there is you get your campus news and you have your student newspaper, but students also have access to a broader, more worldwide covering newspaper as well.”The trial is meant to increase readership and gauge student interest in world news, Tyagi said.“It’s important for students to be aware of what’s going on in the world,” Tyagi said. “This is one small way in order to help do that. I read the Daily Trojan every single day and there’s a little coverage of what’s going on throughout the world on a larger scale, but this way students will be informed not only about what’s going on on campus but also kind of a bigger picture of what’s going on outside.”Ali Blair, a sophomore majoring in broadcast and digital journalism, said providing free newspapers to students will be beneficial considering rising subscription fees.“I recently unsubscribed to the Los Angeles Times because it just costs too much, but as a journalism major, I would love to have access to a national newspaper through school,” Blair said. “It’s [the university’s] job to give us the best education, and access to news is a part of a good education,” Blair said.If students show enthusiasm about the availability of The New York Times around campus, the program could be instituted permanently next year, USG Assistant Director of Academic Affairs Jason Wei said.Wei said it would also need to secure additional funding to extend the program.“If The New York Times is willing to work with us next semester on the cost and we’re able to find funds, then we’ll be able to continue the program,” Wei said. “If it gets the majority of the student population to really enjoy the program and put their support behind it, then the administration might be persuaded to fund it.”Michelle Crisosto, a sophomore majoring in communication and art history, said she will take advantage of the free newspapers.“There’s nothing that compares to a real newspaper,” Crisosto said. “I get the news online every day but still have a respect for traditional print, and if it was provided by the school, then I don’t see why I wouldn’t pick up a copy on my way home from class.”
A preliminary inquiry into the death of nineteen-year-old Sasia Adams — who reportedly died as a result of blunt trauma to the head occasioned by allegedly being pushed from a moving car being driven by her boyfriend in June last — will begin on September 11, 2018.The decision came after Police prosecutor Neville Jeffers handed over the final statements into the matter to the court earlier last week.Fifteen witnesses are expected to testify in the matter, which will be heard by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.The accused, twenty-one-year-old Rick Sewcharran of Section ‘A’ Diamond Housing Scheme, East Bank Demerara, was released on $500,000 bail back in June when he appeared before the court to answer to a manslaughter charge.The late Sasia Adams, who had been an Essequibo native residing at East Street, Georgetown, succumbed to head injuries on June 12 after falling out of the moving car at Lamaha Street, Georgetown.It was reported by her boyfriend that the teen had fallen out of his moving vehicle at about 20:00h on June 10, two days prior to her demise.However, alternative versions of what had transpired during the incident surfaced, as the still conscious Adams had related to doctors that she had fallen down. Another account had her jumping from the moving car.The post-mortem examination conducted by veteran State Pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh indicated that the teen died as a result of blunt trauma to the head. No mention was made of her dying from injuries consistent with a vehicular accident.Investigators revealed that the teen had apparently been struck to her head and then pushed out of the moving car, resulting in her sustaining severe head injuries.The late Sasia Adams had been employed as a front desk clerk at the Princess Ramada Hotel at Providence, EBD.
IN PICTURES: BALLYSHANNON 5K SUCCESS was last modified: May 8th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) TRIBUTES have been pouring in for the organisers of the Ballyshannon 5k – with a superb event enjoyed by all those involved.Results are available by clicking on our previous post here: https://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/05/07/ballyshannon-5k-results/.Our picture gallery shows some of those who took part.