Tag: 一品香论坛ypx69

Cameron positive about WICB rebranding, commercialisation

first_imgHead of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), Dave Cameron, is hoping that the creation of a new commercial entity for the regional body will over time transform its economic fortunes. The entity, which, according to Cameron, is to be filled with suitable and qualified individuals, will, among other things, seek to implement income-generating activities, including the acquisition of sponsorships and the striking of television broadcast deals. “We have just created a new commercial arm of the WICB and have hired Pitch International,” says Cameron. “The real aim of this is to ensure that we move away from the sociopolitical issues we have at the WICB and have a company that is fully geared at commercialising West Indies cricket.” He added: “We have also changed the name of the WICB – again, too much (negative) history, and baggage – to Cricket West Indies.” Cricket West Indies, Cameron said, is to largely focus on governance and management-related issues. The organisation’s commercial arm, Cameron highlighted, will be similar to that of the International Cricket Council (ICC) which, in recent years, instituted the ICC Business Corporation to carry out its corporate functions. The Jamaican business executive, in expressing confidence about the new ventures, also said that the compilation and duties of the commercial entity will be revealed shortly. “We will not release the names at the moment, but I am sure you will hear very, very soon,” he said. Meanwhile, reporting on the financial state of the WICB, Cameron said the organisation, for the first time in a while, has realised a US$3.5m surplus, and the hope is that this trend will continue. “As of September 30, 2015, the WICB has recorded a surplus in excess of three-and-a-half million US dollars, unaudited,” he said. “This is the first time, I can remember, that we have ever done that.”last_img read more

PI into teen’s death to commence on Tuesday

first_imgA preliminary inquiry into the death of nineteen-year-old Sasia Adams — who reportedly died as a result of blunt trauma to the head occasioned by allegedly being pushed from a moving car being driven by her boyfriend in June last — will begin on September 11, 2018.The decision came after Police prosecutor Neville Jeffers handed over the final statements into the matter to the court earlier last week.Fifteen witnesses are expected to testify in the matter, which will be heard by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.The accused, twenty-one-year-old Rick Sewcharran of Section ‘A’ Diamond Housing Scheme, East Bank Demerara, was released on $500,000 bail back in June when he appeared before the court to answer to a manslaughter charge.The late Sasia Adams, who had been an Essequibo native residing at East Street, Georgetown, succumbed to head injuries on June 12 after falling out of the moving car at Lamaha Street, Georgetown.It was reported by her boyfriend that the teen had fallen out of his moving vehicle at about 20:00h on June 10, two days prior to her demise.However, alternative versions of what had transpired during the incident surfaced, as the still conscious Adams had related to doctors that she had fallen down. Another account had her jumping from the moving car.The post-mortem examination conducted by veteran State Pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh indicated that the teen died as a result of blunt trauma to the head. No mention was made of her dying from injuries consistent with a vehicular accident.Investigators revealed that the teen had apparently been struck to her head and then pushed out of the moving car, resulting in her sustaining severe head injuries.The late Sasia Adams had been employed as a front desk clerk at the Princess Ramada Hotel at Providence, EBD.last_img read more